I've taken up residence in the land of overwhelmed. I'm pretty sure I'll be here for a while.
I'm overwhelmed at what's happened over the past two weeks. My dad's stroke was pretty severe. His mobility is very limited. He's in an inpatient rehab facility and will most likely be released in a wheel chair. The rehab center felt it would be best for him to stay until the end of January in hopes of meeting his goals, adjusting the release date if needed to make sure he's functioning well enough when he leaves. Now, due to insurance issues, he'll most likely have to leave mid-January, a few weeks away from meeting his goals. There's a chance he could go to a skilled nursing facility to get closer to his goals after leaving the rehab center, but either straight from rehab or from the skilled nursing place the plan is for him to move in with our family. Even if he's met his goals, he's anticipated to be released in a wheelchair. This means we're currently trying to figure out how to make our home accessible for him. I'm overwhelmed by the amount of care he may need when he gets here.
I'm overwhelmed with the phone calls. I've spent hours on the phone over the past two weeks with nurses, social workers, human resources personnel, the social security office, my aunt, my brothers, trying to figure out his care and his benefits. There are hours of phone calls ahead, but I'm glad I can at least do some of the calling more easily than I can the physical side of things (like moving his stuff out of his apartment, a job my brothers took care of, or making dozens of trips back and forth to the hospital) right now with a 3 week old.
I'm overwhelmed trying to find balance in my life. I have things that I greatly desire to be doing, things that I know will fall back into place, but right now I'm not sure how or when. My calling, the joys in making my home, the care of meal planning are all things I'm sure I'll get back to, but not sure when. My kids needs are being met and I'm having a lot of good conversation with my sweet husband and that is what is most important right now.
I'm overwhelmed that mastitis set in on Christmas Eve and has consumed my weekend. I started an antibiotic yesterday and the chills and fever have left, so hopefully I've turned the corner.
I'm overwhelmed at the support of family and friends. This is one of the hardest times I've ever gone through. I'm so grateful to those who have wept with me, who have helped me problem-solve, who have offered listening ears and helping hands and pep talks on hard days (which, who am I kidding, seems like every day right now). I know I wouldn't be making it through at all right now without the amazing people who surround me, and I feel so blessed.
I'm overwhelmed spiritually. I've been filled with a lot of uncertainty, wondering how this is going to work or why Heavenly Father wants this for me or what I'm supposed to learn. There are a lot of unsettled emotions in my relationship with my dad that will hopefully be smoothed out. There are a lot of things that I can see I will learn from this experience. There are tender mercies that have allowed me to realize that I've been preparing for this. When we were naming Charlie, I was about 90% sure we would name him Elias and call him Eli, but when he was born it just didn't fit. I couldn't let it go that Elias needed to be part of his name, and it became his middle name. I kept feeling the impression that this little boy would be preparing our family for something special as I studied the entry in the bible dictionary over and over while pregnant with him which refers to Elias as "a preparer". I feel like now I'm starting to see what he's preparing us for. Our family is going to reach a whole new level as we go through this experience. I know that we have to be at a point where every good thing is in place and our obedience is exact so that we are qualified for all blessings that Heavenly Father can send. I know that I have a lot of work to do.
There are many, many unknowns in our situation right now- what my dad's condition will be when he comes, how long he'll stay with us, how it's going to work, how we'll get along. The one thing I do know is that I will be growing. Our family will be growing together. And Heavenly Father knows we can do this. I hope this is not something I just endure, but that I can endure it well.
I'm overwhelmed by the love of my Savior and my Heavenly Father as I'm embarking on this journey.
Sunday, December 27, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

7 comments:
Oh my goodness, Christina. You have every right to be overwhelmed. I can't believe you are tackling all of this with a brand new 3 week old! I wish there was more I could do. I'll pray for you, sister!
>>>>>hugs<<<<<
Oh, Christina,
Please, what can I do? I really want to do something for you. I will try to think of how I can best help you right now, but in the meantime, please tell me what I can do for you! I am sorry this has come at such a tender time! I know you can do it. I am so glad you are so secure in the gospel and are looking forward to enduring this well. If anyone can do that, it's you! I'll pray for you! Let's talk soon,
Ella
Oh, Christina. I think the first thing (probably the only thing) I want to say is that you can do it. I know you can. Hang in there, stay close to the spirit, and you will be uplifted, strengthened and led.
Hugs!
I am so sorry, Christina! I wish there was something I could do. I'm always available for a phone call and a gno!
I know you're overwhelmed but if there is anyone who can handle this it is you. Our thoughts and prayers are with you. Let us know what we can do to help.
You will be in my prayers. I hope your dad has a speedy recovery and you will be given strength. You are an amazing person!
Post a Comment