Friday, January 14, 2011

Five on Friday

1.  We returned on Monday from a long weekend in New York.  Pat's grandpa turned 90, and it was a great excuse for us to go visit family and take our kids to see the city.  I was pleasantly surprised by how well they did while traveling.  Sam slept for 3 hours on the way home, Charlie slept during runway taxi-ing and take-off on both flights, and Charlie was awesome to sit in his stroller while Addie and Sam traipsed through the city without too many problems.  Hopefully pics to follow.  I'd like to spend a little more time around here. 

2.  Charlie took his first steps today.  I was holding his hand and let go and he kept on going.  He's done it several times since.  I always look at the beginning of walking with a mixture of excitement and dread. Charlie has seemed like a different kid this week from the way he's playing to the sounds he's making, and now he has to go and start walking.  I think he missed the memo that I'm not quite ready for him to be big yet. 

3.  I've been back to busy times with things for my dad.  He got approved for the waiver program we've been working towards for the past 3 months, so now I have to choose a facility by the middle of next week.  It's been a lot of phone calls trying to schedule visits to tour places, and I'm also in the midst of a COBRA battle which I will hopefully win.  And hopefully soon, because the hours of phone calls get old really fast. 

4.  Sometimes Addie and Sam are so dang sweet together.  They definitely have their share of fighting, but yesterday Sam tripped on the steps leaving preschool and was quite upset about the scrapes he received.  Addie drew him a picture and wrote him a note to help him feel better.  Her notes are so sincere.  A few weeks ago she wrote a letter to our neighbor across the street thanking him for helping us with snow removal.  Adorable. 

5.  It's birthday weekend at our house!  I feel like poor Sam is getting a little slighted- he hasn't requested much by way of celebration, and catching up from our trip I haven't had the oomph to put together too many bells and whistles.  I'm grateful that simple pleasures are enjoyed by the 4  year old set, and my simple preparations will be adored by Sam.

Happy Weekend!

And can I add happy half-way through January?  Oh, this month... 

No comments: