Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Ten on Tuesday

1. Sam's surgery went well. My boy who no longer has tonsils, adenoids, fluid in his ears, or a pesky polyp (caused by a tube that didn't come out quite as it should) is one week post-op and I think has finally turned a corner. We were at the hospital for a long time on the day of surgery because he wouldn't drink enough for us to be able to leave, and he kept falling asleep. Finally he ate half of a popsicle and they let us go home. The child-life specialist was awesome, and Sam woke up at one point asking for "the girl with the toys." For the past week he's woken up 3 to 5 times a night. I'm hoping those days are over. He was back to his more energetic and trouble-making self today. I'm counting that as a good sign.

2. Pat just started training his replacement at work this week. That means hopefully soon he'll be starting the new job he was hired to do in January. He's excited. I'm excited. Same company, different team.

3. We used some of our tax return and bought an awesome swing set at Costco. I think it will be my salvation this summer. But currently, we're ripping up grass (and when I say we, I really mean Pat and his dad). And digging lots of dirt. And considering options for fill. Did you know different materials can prevent brain-damaging falls from different heights? Do I splurge for the more expensive materials that lets my child fall from higher, or gamble they'll never fall from said height and purchase materials that lets them fall a few feet lower. Anxiety, I say. I have shovelled a little. And the kids have been in dirt heaven. Do we really need that swing set, or just a 30'X30' patch of dirt?

4. Charlie is full of smiles. His skin infection turned out to be Strep-D, different from the Strep-A the rest of us had, but some heavy steroid creams and antibiotics have him looking a lot better. He's so close to rolling over- maybe this week.

5. My dad has been improving some. We currently work on word associations and tongue twisters in our free time as some of his speech therapy exercises. Pat read a tongue twisters all about felt and printed it off to hang in his cubicle.

6. Addie shared the following with Pat's dad today: "Guess what, Grandpa. Don't tell my mom. I took a roly-poly and put it on my book shelf. It's my new pet." Pat's dad instructed her to bring it back outside. It took her two trips inside to finally locate said roly-poly and return it to its outdoor home.

7. Last week Addie was the "Dino-mite kid" at school (going along with the year long dinosaur theme). I got to go to her class and do an activity with the kids. We made friendship bracelets, and Addie loved it. I was so glad to get to spend some time with her, especially during a week when so much of the focus was on Sam.

8. Tonight at cooking group I learned that cooking steaks with butter on them is delicious. Not something I'll do regularly, but maybe a few times a year that splurge will definitely be worth it.

9. I received a sweet and unexpected package a few days ago from a friend. Note cards, nail polish, and hand and foot care creams have never been so appreciated. I need to make it a point to send good mail more often. What a treat.

10. Last week was rough. I had a good cry. I had some good time to think. I had a good talk with Pat. And I received a good dose of perspective. With everything going on, things have not been easy. I often have felt like I'm wading through mud, having a hard time with each step and not really getting anywhere. I've pictured myself in mud to my waist, sopping wet with the rain beating down. Pat gave me the most beautiful blessing. Suddenly I realized that even though I might feel like I'm wading through mud, I chose to walk into it. I knew it would be hard and I still did it. And I know I'm going to walk out on the other side, better and stronger and happier. And I'm so blessed to have my sweet family with me through it all.

2 comments:

Cathy said...

My kids seem to be perfectly happy with a 30'x30' patch of dirt and a few shovels.

carey said...

I'm so glad you had a blessing, Christina. I've found these help me through very "muddy" times. Be patient - - things won't be this heavy forever. Hang in there...