Friday, April 30, 2010

Five on Friday

1. Addie is dealing with drama at school, namely being purposefully excluded by a little queen bee (or so says her sweet assistant teacher who pulled me aside on Wednesday). After hearing the news, I drove her home with tears on my cheeks and tried to not let her see. I'm hoping I can figure out the right way to help her not be bothered by it and give her tools to help her feel empowered. I wish I could scoop her up and protect her from everything bad, but I know that won't help her in the long run, so we'll muddle through these life lessons instead. This parenting gig is hard sometimes.

2. Sam and Charlie are both sick (again!) with colds. Sam threw up at dinner (hopefully an isolated incident) and Charlie isn't sleeping great since he's not breathing great. Crossing my fingers the whole house doesn't get it.

3. I chopped my hair today. I'm now sporting an a-line. After my last cut to a shorter length (still below my chin) I decided I wouldn't cut it any shorter. That plan went out the window today. I think the fact that my postpartum hair loss is in full force makes me not care too much about my hair in general.

4. Monday night brought a fun get together with the college friends. We don't get together nearly as often as we should, but it's always a good time had by all.

5. Saving the best for last, this week I received one of the best "surprises" I've had in a long time. Surprise is in quotes because Addie let the cat out of the bag a few hours ahead of time, but it was still a shock and such a sweet gift! Months ago, before our life totally changed, I had planned out a vision for Addie and Sam's new shared room. Gender neutral, lots of fun color, and handmade touches were on the agenda. Those plans never came to fruition, so this week a few of my girls set up a cover to take the kids so Pat and I could go to the temple, and then they came and painted Addie and Sam's room. It.looks.amazing. I keep going in there and admiring the soft blue-green. Cute accessories graced their dresser, the book case looks amazing, and frames are ready for new artwork to be purchased. I am so grateful for the kindness of friends. This is a project that would've been endlessly put off, especially with everything going on right now. Instead three friends made it happen in three hours. Amazing. I can't wait to thank them and return their kindness!

3 comments:

Hannah said...

what great friends you have! that is a wonderful surprise. i can't wait to see!

Sammie said...

Yes, we want to see pictures of the new room!!!

Ella said...

1. My heart is breaking too! My only comfort is that if I had to choose I would rather my child be on the receiving end rather than the giving end of that treatment.
2. Bleh. I thought sicknesses were over!
3. I can't wait to see it!
4. College friends are great!
5. I'm so glad you like it. I really, really, really hope there isn't some messed up spot that annoys you to no end when you see it!