Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Kind Words

Yesterday I received an email. It was from a woman I know who is about 80. Some of her peers probably wonder what she's doing with an email account, thinking it's only for people younger than them and they have no need for such a means of communication. It makes me love this woman even more because she has an email account. Her email was short and sweet. Really sweet, actually. She wrote kind words and feelings she had for me. It was only a few lines long. I read it first thing in the morning and it stuck with me all day long. It made me think about the power we have with our words to uplift and strengthen. It made me think that I want to build others with my words, and not hold back with compliments or admiration. One thing that made her email so nice was that is was so unexpected. I want to share praise with another who isn't expecting it. I could make it complicated and pull out the stationary and then dig for a stamp and then drive by the post office. Or I could keep it simple and send an email. Probably the best email they'll get all day. And as much as I hate to admit it, sometimes the packaging doesn't really matter, it's the words that do.

4 comments:

Hannah said...

How thoughtful! I agree, the unexpected note is the most sweet.

Suzie said...

what a great reminder and how sweet of that 80 year old woman!

(I'm off to write a note today. thanks!)

Unknown said...

I got a sweet note like that once from a lady in our last ward. It was actually mailed and everything. I carried that card in my purse for two years :D How precious.

carey said...

Great post and AMEN! I'm kicking myself for not printing out the countless (wonderful) emails my grandma has sent me...