1. We're in the throes of potty training. I've forgotten just how much time+patience this task takes, but Sam is having success mingled with a few accidents, and I'm glad to hopefully see a light at the end of this tunnel.
2. Sam is the one who initiated training which is exactly what I was hoping for. He put the seat on the toilet himself a few nights ago and had his first successful attempt. He requested little marshmallows as a treat for using the potty. I told him I only had big marshmallows. He told me, "It's oday, I wike dose ones too!"
3. Sam has been hilarious. He's constantly asking me who he knows that uses the potty, and then wants to pretend to be that person. For example, "I'll be Danny, you be Danny's mommy, Charlie can be Date, Addie can be Dis, now I'm going to use the potty" and I can only refer to him as Danny. Repeat this scenario for Henry, Addie, James, Jane, and anyone else he can think of, each of us getting an assigned role as he pretends to be the awesome person who already uses the potty.
4. As one strategy to get him to relax, I've told Sam to listen for things to hit the water and to close his eyes. He tried to use this on me the other day. "Close your eyes, Mom. Ok, now close your mouth." Not sure how closing my mouth helped things, but I must've looked ridiculous with my eyes closed and my mouth hanging open.
5. Sam talked to my mom on the phone the other day and was telling her about using the potty. She told him he was being a rockstar using the potty. Now he tells me he wants to have rocket-star poo-poos. That would be great, especially if he chose not to put them in his underwear. Sadly, that's the only place they've gone so far.
I can't believe I just wrote a whole post on potty-training. I'll definitely have to post again soon so this is not around forever!

6 comments:
yay sam! you are brave but i guess it something that all moms have to do huh. :)
lydia keeps wanting to be potty trained, so i am doing a half-hearted attempt at it... we spend around an hour each day sitting on the potty, getting off the potty, standing on the seat of the potty... i just need to bite the bullet.
good luck!
Good heavens, that is a cute boy! I love his method acting approach to potty training. :)
It makes my heart swell with pride to know that my little guy can be a positive role model for another little guy.
Go Sam, Go!!!
Great pics! I can't believe he is potty training already. :) OK, those blessing pics below are PERFECT.
This was adorable. Sam is such a great kid!
Post a Comment