Really, I'm hoping to blog on days besides Friday. This is just my rhythm right now, I guess, so we'll go with it.
1. I've arrived at 28 weeks and my third trimester. I have an ultrasound Monday to make sure the placenta has moved, and also the lovely glucose test. They've expanded beyond just the orange nastiness and added another flavor, so I decided to try the new fruit punch variety this time.
2. This week I've been humbled and reminded of Heavenly Father's mindfulness of each of us. Pat's Crohns has been flaring, so we laid low Monday, Pat worked from home Tuesday, and he's been making it through the rest of the week. I was feeling frustrated on Wednesday for a lot of reasons. Dealing with a chronic illness is hard. There is nothing I can do for him to make things better. His doctor is often difficult to get into, and I knew even if I called we may not get in for a few weeks. We weren't sure when his next appointment was because it didn't make it to the calendar. I had a pretty good pity party going Wednesday and decided dinner making was not going to happen, but self-medicating at Kneader's most definitely was. While I was out picking up my first loaf of caramel apple bread of the season, we received a message from Central Utah Clinic, the robotic voice informing us that Pat had an appointment with his doctor the next day. I was so grateful. I still am. We went to his appointment yesterday and left with a few new medicines to try, and a lot of plans to make things better soon. Gratitude filled in the spaces where self-pity had been dwelling thanks to a loving Heavenly Father.
3. Today I got to spread the Costco gospel with a good friend and {gasp} Costco virgin. It was lovely. While there I made this even better discovery. Costco has the CHI right now for 59.99. Cheaper than I've ever seen it anywhere, and I've watched in Amazon for about 2 years, always too cheap to take the plunge. But today I did. And I promise not to open it until Christmas. Unless I'm feeling really desperate. And right after I have a baby and feel gross I may feel desperate. But let's not focus on that.
4. Tomorrow Pat's work is having an open house. Lots of simulators and cool geeky things. He'll be in heaven. I'll enjoy the bbq. The kids have been talking about seeing dad's work for weeks because we're not allowed to go there (security clearances, etc.), so it really will be cool to see where he goes everyday while we miss him at home.
5. Our tomatoes are on right now and I'm so excited. If anyone has a fantastic marinara recipe, please share. I'd love to freeze some, but I'm a little worried that the variety of my large tomatoes (better boys, I think) are too watery for this sauce. Oh, and any ideas on how to use cucumber that are not your favorite variety are also appreciated. I don't want to toss them, but they don't have the crisp crunch I love in a cucumber.
Happy Weekend
Friday, September 11, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
Christina, I'm so sorry to hear about Pat's Crohn's. I feel your pain and frustration - you know I do. Good luck with the new drugs. If all else fails - you might consider a partial/complete colectomy. Eric says he has his life back. We strongly recommend you guys read "Embracing Life: Great Comebacks from Ostomy Surgery" by Rolf Benirshcke. It's a must-read for anyone with/or who knows someone with Crohn's or Colitis - ostomy or not. Good luck!! You're in my thoughts and prayers.
Has Pat been on Remicaid? I know my brother was on it for years. They recently changed him to something else, though. I can't remember what it's called but I think it involves home injections. It seems to be working well for him so far and is a great alternative. As long as he's not allergic to mice. I don't really know where mice come in, but I know somehow it came up, lol. Maybe I'll run into him at the doc's sometime -- I go to the gastro at Central Utah Clinic too.
So lovely to be able to find a sweet reminder that Heavenly Father really does know us and what's going on with us.
Hopefully things will fall into place quickly and Pat can feel better. I have a friend with Crohn's as well and it's far from easy.
Keep us posted on the ultrasound! I really hope it's moved! And I hope Pat can start feeling better soon, but so glad you were able to get a quick appointment.
Post a Comment