Monday, May 2, 2011

Sorry, April

April didn't even get a mention from me here.  So sorry.  I can pretty much sum it up by saying Pat worked a lot.  The end.  Seriously, 70-85 hour weeks were the norm for the month, and it was hard.  But, we made it through, and hopefully things will be improving.  Today he made it home at 8:15- that's improvement! 

In other news, my kids are growing up a lot lately.  Addie has been particularly helpful without Pat around, and also very compassionate.  She's made me inspirational posters, written me nice notes, and been a great playmate to Sam.  I don't think I would have made it through the last month without her, and I so appreciate her sensitivity to me.  I also can't believe that we're almost at the end of kindergarten.  Picturing not having her around all day next year is enough to put me in tears, so I'm trying to soak up the rest of half-day school and plans for a laid back summer.  Addie received the first three Ivy and Bean books for Easter and read them all that weekend.  She's a voracious reader, especially when she has books she's interested in.  I'm hoping to start her in piano soon, but until I get my act together I should make time to sit down and work with her.  I think it will be such a good thing for her to channel her efforts into. 

Sam is still trying me regularly, but also making me laugh daily.  I would love to just follow him around all day writing down everything he says.   Last night he prayed that we wouldn't be captured.  Today he told me that it's not good for people to switch brains.  He also informed me recently that I shouldn't brush my hair too much because then it would be spiky and girls shouldn't have spiky hair.  And I should never fill the bathtub too full because if I do, it could explode, and he doesn't want the bathtub to explode.  I would love to see how his brain works.  At preschool a couple weeks ago he told his friend Morgan who was the spotlight kid aka "zookeeper" that he would be her zookeeper gentleman that day, and he pulled out her chair for her and pushed it in after she sat down when it was time to go to the table.  He can be so nice and polite when he chooses to be.  He is anxious to spend more time outside, and is far too independent for his own good.  A recent fight between the two of us involved his desire to stay home by himself.  I told him it wasn't legal until he was 10.  Then he asked me how many more days until he was 10.   

Last week Charlie finally started walking more, and I think over the weekend we have turned the corner to full time walking.  He is 17 months today, so I suppose it's right on time.  ;)  He loves to read books and he's started singing lately.  Yesterday he found the end page of our "Down by the Bay" storybook that has the music on it so you can play the song.  He came in to the piano and started singing and spinning around.  It was pretty much adorable.  Over the last month we've also discovered some more allergy issues Charlie has with a scary visit to the hospital because he was having difficulty breathing after eating a very egg-y German pancake.  Now that he has finished the steroids and antibiotics, he's back to rash-covered skin, and I'm worried about what might be the next food to be eliminated.  We will meet with the allergist the end of June to figure out where things are at, so hopefully we won't have any major reactions until then. 

And there we are, all caught up.  Just living the life around here, excited for the summer to come.  Hope to check in again soon!

No comments: